$1 billion available from WIFIA program
Approximately $1 billion in credit assistance for water infrastructure projects under the new Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act program is now available, announced the US Environmental Protection Agency.
The new program, long advocated by AWWA, will provide long-term, low-cost credit assistance in the form of direct loans and loan guarantees to creditworthy water projects. WIFIA loans ares available to state, local, and tribal governments; private entities; partnerships; and State Revolving Fund programs.
Eligible projects include:
- drinking water treatment and distribution projects
- wastewater conveyance and treatment projects
- enhanced energy efficiency projects at drinking water and wastewater facilities
- desalination, aquifer recharge, alternative water supply, and water recycling projects
- drought prevention, reduction, or mitigation projects